Re: best labtop for debian

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 04:10:11PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:09:23 -0700

[..]

> Good to know, thanks - I've heard that before.  The keyboard is the one
> thing about which I'm really dissatisfied with my Acer Aspire, although
> that's not Linux specific.

Not sure which particular models, which part of the world they ship..
etc. but Lenovo now often install lower quality keyboards on at least
some ThinkPads, the main difference being that where the old keyboard
had a solid metal back plate, the newer model has a thinner sheet of
metal with rectangular cutouts every couple of inches either to help
dissipate the heat or reduce the weight of the machine by a few grams.

As a result, the newer keyboards have considerably more flex than the
older models.

Seems other folks have noticed:

  http://www.google.com/search?q=thinkpad+keyboard+flex

In my case some of the keys, especially near the top right of the
keyboard, in the area where the Backspace key lives, had the ‘under the
fingers’ stability of a trampoline and produced unseemly ‘thunks’ every
time I hit them.

Better than my prose, here's an graphic illustration of the symptoms:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKs1YqEWXD0

It was a bit of an uphill battle, but after spending over an hour of my
time on the phone with Lenovo, I was able to have one of the older
models overnighted to me free of charge under the machine's warranty.

In the event you or anyone else acquires a ThinkPad in the near future,
I advise you read recent reviews of the model you have in mind, paying
attention to what they say about the keyboard. And be prepared to fork
out an extra 50-70 dollars to buy a replacement keyboard from a 3rd
party reseller in the event Lenovo cannot / will not replace it.

Reminds me I need to buy a couple of spares while they last...

cj