Re: Middle button copy/paste

on 08:15 Tue 15 Feb, Curt Howland (Howland@priss.com) wrote:

> After updating Sid yesterday, middle button paste isn't working.
>
> One of the most handy and wonderful features of UNIX is just ... gone.
>
> I edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to EmulateThreeButtonMouse "yes", which
> is the only place I could find such a setting, but it didn't make any
> difference. (yes, I restarted X after making the change)
>
> Is anyone else having the problem, or is there a fix I missed in the
> datastream?

Sounds like your mouse config may have changed, possibly by borked
autodetection.

Confirm that you're running a three-button mouse (or that your X session
sees a 3-button mouse), rather than, say, two buttons or emulated
three-buttons.

Really this Should Just Work and Xorg is getting frighteningly good at
auto-detecting all manner of hardware, but it may occasionally get
borked.

Look for the lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log following:

    (II) config/udev: Adding input device ...

These will identify what sort of mouse has been detected.  Post these
lines.

'xev' may help you determine button-press events, you'll be looking for
the following event pair in output:

    ButtonPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x5e00001,
        root 0x120, subw 0x0, time 48540172, (165,140), root:(2443,368),
        state 0x0, button 2, same_screen YES

    ButtonRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x5e00001,
        root 0x120, subw 0x0, time 48540309, (165,140), root:(2443,368),
        state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES

You may want to try adding a mouse stanza to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
see if that resolves anything.

As others have noted, gpm has NOTHING to do with mouse function under
X11, it's a console/terminal service.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power