Re: Trying to Switch from Ubuntu to Debian

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 10:36 PM, Noah Duffy wrote:
>>
>> Hello, all.  I've been an Ubuntu user for quite awhile.  Linux has
>> been my only OS for over a year now (and I've been using it on and off
>> longer than that).  I've recently gotten the itch to switch to Debian.
>>  Ubuntu has worked quite well for me, but with everything that is
>> going on with Unity and current development, eventually I have a
>> feeling I'm going to become slightly annoyed with what they push out
>> in new releases.
>>
>> Also, I've always respected the Debian project and what they are
>> about.  Just makes me feel all warm and tingly inside.  Today I tried
>> to take the plunge.  I downloaded the stable version (Squeeze), and
>> tried to give it a go.  The install went smoothly, but I have noticed
>> two things that I am going to have to solve.  The first one is the
>> sound on my machine.  I get no sound until I run alsamixer and turn up
>> the speaker.  Once done with that, my laptop speakers function quite
>> well.  However, I also have a set up wireless speakers that can
>> operate via a Bluetooth connection or via the provided dongle.  I
>> usually use the dongle as it's always plugged into my USB hub and just
>> makes it a lot easier.  I can not get this to work under Debian.  If I
>> select the device in alsamixer, the only setting available to me is
>> PCM and even though it is the selected device, I still get sound out
>> of my laptop speakers.
>>
>> Secondly, I'm going to have to figure out exactly how to install the
>> nVidia drivers for my video card.  I've seen that I can do it manually
>> or with the non-free repository.  I haven't tried the first method,
>> but installing nvidia-glx just seemed to cause me problems (I think
>> this may have been the wrong package).
>>
>> Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.  Also, let me say that so
>> far, everyone in the Debian community seems to be a little more
>> friendly then the Ubuntu crowd.  I've been in that community for
>> awhile and many people can be snobs which don't really help to further
>> anything!  ...of course, I guess you can get that type anywhere you
>> go.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Noah Duffy
>> Skype - Noah0504 | Jabber/Google Talk - n.milo.duffy@gmail.com
>>
> You might want to look at MINT before you commit to Debian.  It's derived
> from Ubuntu, but in general doesn't follow the craziness of Ubuntu.  Like,
> the windows buttons are on the right, where they belong.  And I doubt
> that they will go to some cockamamie GUI just because Ubuntu did.  They
> seem to be a bit saner over there.  I think Ubuntu is going to lose a lot
> of its regular users because of the way they are going and plan to go.
> Just my 2¢.
>
> --doug
>
> Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
> --A. M. Greeley
>

> --

I have tried Linux Mint in the past.  They do a great job of polishing
their releases (but I also have a few problems with the way they're
packaging works.  A little confusing with all of those sources!).  I
also see that they have a direct Debian based release now.  I wonder
if that is worth trying out.  It is a rolling release however.

Also, I think I have a handle on which packages I need to install to
get the nVidia driver up and running, but the sound issue is still
beyond me.  Do you think maybe installing PulseAudio may fix my
problem?  After all, that's what Ubuntu uses and that part has always
worked for me.  I really want to give Debian a go.  :D  I guess if I
fail, then I'll go back to what I know.