Re: upgrade using aptitude

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:35:27AM -0600, Qi Qi wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been using debian unstable. After debian 6.0 released, aptitude
> upgrading asks me to remove gnome, gnome-core, and
> gnome-desktop-enviroment,etc. Is it saying that I have to remove those
> and reinstall them back, or removing gnome can be avoided.
>
> I tried different resolutions provided in aptitude for dependency conflicts. But
> it seems all of the proposals asks for gnome removal. Is it normal
> during the transition of debian upgrading time?

The "etc." part is extremely unspecific. Does "etc." another meta-package or
a long list of real packages?

You can mark the proposed removals for "keep" in aptitude. But I recently
read that meta-packages are inconsequential in removals.  (Make sure
aptitude is set to display intended actions first.)

Or you can *not* risk your entire system and upgrade the right and
recommended way according to release notes.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

The recommended way involves an upgrade, a kernel install, a udev install
and a dis-upgrade udder apt-get.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody