Re: Cleaning house (purging packages)

On Lu, 14 feb 11, 09:58:17, Erin Brinkley wrote:
> Ok, one more quick Debian user question ... last one, I promise!
>
> After my upgrade to Squeeze I have a lot of packages that were "rc":
> removed, but configs remain. A lot of these appear to be obsolete
> packages. In any event, I won't be using them. Is it ok/good/smart to
> "apt get purge" them?

Only you can tell. Example: you spent countless hours configuring some
package and you don't want to loose that, in case you ever want to
reinstall it again.

OTOH you can just 'aptitude purge ~c' (after having a *good* look at the
list) and put this in apt.conf if you use aptitude:

// Aptitude should purge autoremoved packages
Aptitude::Purge-Unused true;

Regards,
Andrei