From: Erin Brinkley <erinbrinkley@ymail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:32:20
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: New policies?

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> I will be pleased if my suggestion is worth to start a discussion of it.

Great suggestion! Couldn't have said it better myself! Not even close!

One thing I would like to add is that when Debian has a major upgrade, it
should ALWAYS keep your config files. I know that it asks whether you want
to install the new maintainer version or keep your old, but this is always
a headache. I think the best answer is to merge the new features/options
with the current existing user's version. Because whenever I choose to go
with the new, I might get new options but all my customizations are gone
and I have to go find the old config and figure it all out from scratch.
If I just keep the old, then I loose all the new options and this
sometimes breaks things too. It's probably the #1 user problem when
upgrading.

Also, for work systems I always just use stable. I don't need the newest
version if it means something might break. But I do feel like things are
getting harder to keep up, like maybe "stable" is getting too old. It
would be nice as you say to upgrade some of the big packages slowly,
somehow, without breaking 100 other dependencies. But I would personally
LOVE it if from now on Debian "stable" were just an incremental upgrade.

No more Toy Story names, but you just pick stable or unstable or testing
or experimental, and then upgrades happen incrementally, slowly, every day
or every week instead of every year or year and a half you have this huge
upgrade that breaks everything and causes mass chaos for about a week. (I
went from 5.0 to 6.0 last week and am still picking up the pieces all over
the place...)

Is something like this doable / desirable or do we have to just wait every
year or so and then do a major upgrade? Like I said I would SO prefer to
just upgrade software incrementally all the time. It would reduce user
headaches plus it would keep Debian much more up to date.

Erin