Re: New policies?

On 14/02/11 17:58, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> Such things happen and will happen in our fast changing times again and again,
> and IMO especially stable-users want a system that is running stable. But
> debian policy is causing more trouble than expected.

I value the stable branch.  It is the age old toss-up between running
the latest code (which might break, but has the newest stuff) versus
running tried'n'tested code (which "just works").

> I also think, that major changes in applications (here are especially kde,
> gnome, Openoffice.org in my mind) should also beeing transferred to
> debian/stable when they are running stable enough or the current versions are
> out-of-state-of-the-art. Mentioning KDE (just as an example), IMO 2 years of
> waiting is a likttle bit too long,

This is opinion.  Perhaps we could all vote on it.  Care to set up a web
poll for us all so we can measure user opinion?

> Please try to understand my extensions (and do not blame me, I am using
> testing for myself), but I think stable-users should not to be forced to
> choose between obsolete/not working applications or update the whole system.

All the code I run from the stable branch works just fine - in fact, it
got this email to you.  Understanding the
reversing-the-underlying-protocol-race which instant messenger
developers have to continue doing is part and parcel of managing your
own code.  This is just my opinion, of course.

> There should be better way (without dealing with apt-pinning or similar), my

Download the source from that individual project site yourself and "make
&& make install" ??

> Happy hacking!
Hello from Wales, UK!

Simon