Re: bug in the install

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 04:39 -0500, Travis wrote:
> any ways, do an install with  b43 wireless card and don't feed it
> firmware.  this breaks the network and then the updates and then the
> voltial line in apt sources.  in other words if someone attempts to
> install debian on a laptop its going to be a bitch to get working if
> they haven't used linux for years.

This is simply not true, but rather the effect of missing information.
There are a variety of different images and one of them will certainly
suit your needs.

It is my impression that you either want a CD1, DVD1 or BD1 image or a
netinstall image with firmware [0]. Or you can prepare a USB stick with
all needed firmware packages in the second partition [1] or just
download a firmware tarball and follow the method at [2].

I fail to see how this is a bug though. I would rather think that you
did not follow the installation guide.

> the tail-tell sign is, after the get there system installed synaptic works
> funny, but works-ish, and if they try apt-get <anything> it fails with a method
> error

It works funny? Is it telling jokes? What is a "method error"?

You have to realise that we are willing to help you, but we need more
detailed information in order to accomplish that. Make it easy for us
please.

> sorry but i hate all linux's for what they've become ( i miss old mandrake 7.2
> ) and debian was the last hope, now i'm not so sure :-(, automagic is EVIL!

There is no single "Linux" entity, but I much prefer some of the
automagic that is happening now to the manual work needed earlier. A
good example for automagic gone wrong is grub2, where very few users
actually understand how they are supposed to configure it if they *know*
what they want and the scripts just don't come up with that.

An example of automagic done right is Xorg. It configures itself
correctly most of the time and if you need to change something you can
place a little snippet in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that contains exactly
the single setting you want to change.

If you hate Linux use something else and be happy with it.

[0] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/6.0.0/
[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#ftn.id561911
    (footnote 4)
[2] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04.html.en