Re: apt-get upgrade message in sid

In <[🔎] 8roudpFgapU1@mid.individual.net>, Charles Kroeger wrote:
>apt (0.8.11) unstable; urgency=low
>
>  * apt-get install pkg/experimental will now not only switch the
>    candidate of package pkg to the version from the release
>    experimental but also of all dependencies of pkg if the current
>    candidate can't satisfy a versioned dependency.
>
> -- David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies@gmail.com>  Fri, 03 Dec 2010
> 14:09:12 +0100
>
>After hitting the 'q' key this message clears and the the packages
>unpack and setup.
>
>What is David Kalnischkies telling me here?

apt-listchanges is displaying the new part of the debian/changelog.

The change introduced basically makes the package/archive install
specification less brain damaged, so that it does the right thing in more
cases.

Previously, if foo/experimental Depends on bar (> some_ver) and bar/unstable
was < some_ver but bar/experimental was > some_ver apt-get would propose a
not-so-good solution.  Now, it will propose to install foo/experimental and
bar/experimental.  (I think before it might have prompted the user, or failed
to install foo.  I think is had even worse behavior on a Recommends
relationship, like installing foo/experimental and bar/unstable even though
foo/experimental can't use bar/unstable.)

I rarely use apt-get to install packages though, so I'm not too familiar with
how it's resolver behaves in situations like this.  I use aptitude, which can
certainly propose some stupid stuff initially, but provides an interactive
resolver that is really easy for me to find the solution that makes sense.