Re: grub 2 problems ??

Stephen Powell schreef:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:26:54 -0500 (EST), steef<debian.linux@home.nl>  wrote:
for years (from potato/woody on) i have mounted 3 hd' s in my machine
(independently installed from each other with debian, somtimes slackware
and/or gentoo) from one specific hd with/after the command #mkdir
/mnt/sdx, mnt/sdy etc.  and in fstab  /dev/sdx  /mnt/sdx ext3 user  0  0
&&  (to keep it simple). on each hd i had a bootloader (lilo and later
grub) installed.

with grub2 as bootloader under squeeze i cannot mount other hd's anymore
when independently on the *other* hd' s a bootloader (grub2) in the mbr
is installed. without installing grub2 in the mbr of a sata-hd the hd on
which i am mounting *does* recognize the other hd *with the exception of
(old) ata hd's.

my question: what do i miss if anything? or is this normal for the new
grub? is there anything to do about this? has this got to do with
UUID-numbers?
I used grub-pc (Grub Version 2) early on in the life cycle of Squeeze,
long before it became the stable release, and I had so many problems
with it that I gave up on it and went back to lilo.  I've never looked
back.  I remember seeing a number of posts in the lists in previous
months with regard to problems using grub2 in multiple-disk systems.
I would hope that those problems were fixed prior to Squeeze going
production, but maybe they haven't been.

If you like grub2, and you want to continue using it, and you can
find a solution to your problem, great.  More power to you.  But if
you decide you want to switch back to lilo, I recommend that you take
a look at this web page:

    http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

Although the above web page is primarily about how to build a custom
kernel, step 10, "Customizing the Kernel Installation Environment",
may be very helpful to you.  It not only documents how to convert to
lilo, including a number of common pitfalls and how to avoid them,
but also documents (and provides) some hook scripts which you might
need (depending on whether you run stock kernels, custom kernels,
or both) in order for lilo to integrate well into the Squeeze
environment.  It also recommends some local modifications (which are
optional) to the boot-loader-provided hook scripts which will avoid
some unnecessary calls to the boot loader.

P.S.  I started using Debian with Potato too.

thank you, stephen. i consider already lilo, but a couple of years i enjoyed the versatility of grub: so saying goodbye without a serious try to fix my problem ' i cannot get over my heart' as we dutchmen say (in our native tongue). i let you know what i do and why.

steef