Re: OT: Small network with 4 switches

On 12/02/11 06:48, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:
> Hi Sluggers,
>
> I got 4 un-managed switches, 3 (sw1, sw2, sw3) in the same room for
> workstations, and 1 (sw4) in the server room (debian-samba)
> Currently I link those 3 switches to the 1 in the server.
> Those switches are 4 ports, please do not ask why the company insist of using
> them (money talk...)
>
> Out of curiosity for network-savvy-out-there, would it better if I link sw3 ->
> sw2 -> sw1 -> sw4
>
> or, better to leave as my config: sw1 -> sw4, sw2 -> sw4, sw3 -> sw4
>
> It just bothering me to know which one is better...

Yo,
as you said their are unmanaged, so no problems with spanning tree. I
assume all ports on all switches have the same nominated transfer rates.
Ideal solution would be something with spanning tree and redundant paths
but in your situation I would do (as you suggested):

   /----sw1
sw4-----sw2
   \----sw3

and I suggest buying at least 1 spare switch for any case.

In this case you've got shortest route to resources at sw4, if it's not
possible try to avoid as much as you can

sw4----sw1----sw2----sw3

cause in this situation traffic from all machines have to pass sw1, so
issues like load, etc and the most important the path is the lontgest
one with addition of single point of failure on whole path and this
should be avoided (almost at any cost :-) ). As it can cause huge
problems if sw1 will die or so.

Hopefully that's helped (at least a bit).
- --

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0xC100B4CA