Where is the display poweroff standby set?

Hi folks,

Dumb question I know, but it's driving me nuts.  I'm using an
HP LP2475w monitor and a Radeon HD4850 graphics card with
squeeze/unstable.  Annoyingly, I see that the monitor is put to
sleep in under 5 mins if I don't use the keyboard or mouse.  This
is due to loss of video signal from the computer (HDMI).

Currently with a GNOME desktop, the screensaver/powersaving
configuration is set to turn off the display after 30 mins.
On the console, setterm shows no powerdown timeout, so it's
not AFAICT some odd KMS X/console interaction.  So both these
settings are useless!

This is definitely the computer, not the display; disabling all
power management on the display makes it display a "no signal"
message when the computer stops sending a signal.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?  There must be some other
setting I'm overlooking, only I haven't come across it in 14
years of using Debian!

Thanks,
Roger

--