Re: List of packages installed by default?

on 02:17 Fri 11 Feb, Teemu Rinta-aho (teemu@rinta-aho.org) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded from 5.0.8 to 6.0 and everything seems to be fine.
> However, being slightly paranoid, I'd like to run a diff between
> the packages installed on my system and the list of packages installed
> on a clean 6.0 installation. I removed some old libs and stuff so
> I want to be sure.
>
> Is there such a list of default packages available somewhere?  Or do I
> need to install clean on another machine just to get such a list?

"By default" is a somewhat nebulous term.

You'll file packages with a priority of "required" which pretty much
/must/ be installed for your system to function.

Any package not automatically installed (to satisfy a dependency) has
been explicitly installed.

The 'deborphan' package can be used to show packages installed which
have no packages dependent on them (generally libraries).

What's your goal here?

And if I may suggest, being slightly paranoid is rarely sufficient.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power