Re: Re (3): guidance for making a .Xresources file.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Dalton has an X server and a TightVNC server.  My understanding is
> that TightVNC uses X to some extent.

To the extent that 100% is a percent, yes.  TightVNC is a way to
transport the X protocol from one host to another so as to share a
display.  VNC starts up an X display on one system and allows it to be
connected to from other hosts.  (Or the same host too.)

> Dalton also has an X console.

Okay.

> Cantor has a VNC console.

What is a VNC console?  Text console, sure.  A graphical console
started through xdm/gdm/kdm (X display manager) for graphical login,
sure.  Or maybe you are using XDMCP and an X-terminal for a remote
login, sure.  But what is a VNC console?  Surely you would need to log
in using either the text console or ssh from another system or from
xdm or something and then start up a vnc session, right?  I am sure I
am just misunderstanding something simple.

> With my trivial configuration the two consoles get the same desktop
> wallpaper.  Some other parameters are also shared.

Ah so when you said "change of dimensions of the browser window on one
screen wouldn't change the browser on the other screen" you meant when
you change the resources in .Xdefaults / .Xresources which is is
somehow copied between the two (or network filesystem shared) that
this would change the default browser size when the browser starts
up.  Gotcha.

> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Sometimes what people do is to script the setting of some resources.
>
> So here it would be this way in pseudocode.
>
> CASE client OF
>  DaltonsOwnConsole: set this; set that
> |CantorsConsole: other settings
> END
>
> Does that make sense?  Thanks,            ... Peter E.

Sure.  That is a perfect application for it.  Then you can have one
script that will run on ether/both of the systems and behave
differently.

Bob