Re: best labtop for debian

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 15:23 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> I'm curious - everyone has always seemed to love ThinkPads, but I've
> never understood what exactly makes them so popular.  I'm not
> disagreeing or challenging - I've never used one, and I just want to
> understand why everyone swears by them.

A lot of important aspects have already been noted in this thread, but
apart from superb Linux support, wonderful keyboards, durable hardware
and the good looks (sic!) another *very* important aspect is the
hardware maintenance support from IBM/Lenovo.

What I mean by that:

    * You have access to the original hardware maintenance manuals, used
      by Lenovo/IBM technicians themselves. (c.f. [0] for T60)

      These manuals contain detailed instructions to perferm almost
      *any* maintenance work you might ever want/have to perform on your
      Thinkpad.

    * You can easily order original replacement parts (CRU/FRU) directly
      from IBM/Lenovo or from third party retailer. You know the exact
      part numbers and have access to the complete range from screws to
      displays or mainboards. [1]

      Have a look! Where do you get this level of information and
      support?

    * You are *allowed* to perform a wide range of things without
      voiding your warranty.

I am not aware of any other vendor that provides this kind of support
for laptops or other hardware in general.

[0] http://bit.ly/bCAun7 (ibm.com)

[1] http://bit.ly/2LWxkr (ibm.com)
    http://bit.ly/eI1Smo (ibm.com)
--