Re: Installing Debian on USB sticks.

On Tue 08 Feb 2011 at 20:29:21 +0000, James Allsopp wrote:

> Hi,
> Recently I placed the netinst i386 debian installer on an old USB stick
> using:
> zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdc

And then copied myselected.iso to the stick? You can save yourself some
work with

   cat myselected.iso > /dev/sdc

> and I've installed one machine using it. However yesterday I was trying
> to install debian itself on a USB stick and the installer found it could
> connect to a couple of the mirrors but that it couldn't find a correct
> version. Could this be due to the transition from lenny to squeeze?

A mirror problem, possibly. Trying again now would give an indication.

> I'm also wondering if this is the correct procedure for installing a
> working debian installation on USB stick. A problem I ran into yesterday
> was that I installed grub onto the MBR and overwrote the MBR on my
> laptop's HD. Fixed it now but would like to know how to get around that
> and install it to the USB stick.

Installing to a USB stick is no different from installing to any other
device. GRUB tells you where it installing itself. Just verify it is the
same device you partitioned.