Re: Configuring QLogic QLA4010c on Debian on Sparc

RR put forth on 2/8/2011 11:55 AM:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:
>
>> Thoroughly read the Debian iSCSI HBA documentation, specifically the
>> sections
>> relating to the QLA4xxx series adapters.
>>
>> --
>> Stan
>>

> Thanks Stan, will have a look and see what I can find. Just the confidence
> with which you say it, I'm assuming it's been done and is documented?

No.  What I'm saying is that Qlogic never shipped, and does not ship, a
SPARC/Linux binary of its utility package.  And they don't ship the source.  If
that package is required to program that HBA, then you're hosed, screwed.

Reading all of the Debian documentation available _might_ (read: long shot) lead
you to a method of programming said HBA.  I've no first hand experience doing
what you're trying to do.  Probably very very few, if any, people have.

I recommend you ask on the Debian Enterprise list, the linux-scsi list, and if
it exists, the linux-iscsi list.

Given that the box you bought has no less than _4_ GbE ports IIRC, I'd probably
recommend that you use the software iSCSI initiator and forget using the Qlogic
iSCSI HBA.  You'll likely save yourself a TON of time and heartache.  And since
you bought this box surplus at more than 4 years of age, it means you don't
_need_ maximum performance WRT your iSCSI traffic to your SAN array.  If you
_do_ need maximum performance, bond 2 or 3 of the GbE ports and get
double/triple what you can with the single Qlogic HBA.

--
Stan