Re: KPackage

Geronimo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> lrhorer wrote:
>> For whatever reason, someone has decided to remove KPackage from the
>> Debian distro.  'Really bad idea, if you ask me.
>
> Great idea - if you ask me :)
>
>> Is there a good way to get KPackage back onto the other system?  Is
>> there some way we could get someone to reverse the decision to remove
>> KPackage from Debian?
>
> Try Synaptic ;)

	I have.  Indeed, I've used it quite a bit.  It sucks
great big dead green donkey sputum.

> Works fine even on KDE systems,

	It doesn't work well, at all.  It provides too little
information for far too much effort, is dreadfully filtered - basically
not at all, and makes management far more difficult than it should be.
Unless one just happens to know the name of the package one seeks, and
wants to do little more than install or uninstall the package, Synaptic
is almost worthless.  In that case, however, apt-get is far, far easier
than Synaptic (or KPackage, for that matter).

> is better organized

	You've got to be kidding me!  Synaptic isn't organized
worth spit.  Kpackage makes what passes for organization on Synaptic
look like the effort of a two year old.  Every search in KPackage is
grouped by application type and optionally filtered by installation
status.  No search in Synaptic is grouped at all. Changing the filtering
to none, new, installed, or upgradable in Kpackage takes a single mouse
click.  There are no filters in Synaptic, at all. The search in KPackage
is dynamic - it begins the moment one starts typing, and one knows
instantly if a search will fail.  One also knows instantly if one's
search is specific enough or needs to be refined.  In Synpatic, one
types out the entire search, clicks, and prays.  Type again, click, and
pray. Type again, click, and pray.

	Following a dependency chain or a conflict chain in
Synaptic is an exercise in tedium.  Doing so in KPackage is simplicity
itself.

> , offers better search

	By what criteria?  The fact any search in Synaptic
usually returns a ton of unwanted junk?  Or the fact the same search in
Kpackage takes less time and fewer keystrokes?  Or the fact that a
search in Synaptic returns too little information one needs?  Or the
fact modifying the search in Synaptic means typing the entire search
over again?

> , ... ... no I don't get payed for this writing :D
>
> KPackage is not worth loosing a word about it. Just *imho* of cause ;)

	Have you ever used it?  Synaptic would be no loss, at
all.  Kpackage is by a very wide margin the application I use the most,
unless you count bash.