Re: Help - Apparent conflict between libmagic1 and file packages during upgrade to squeeze

In <[🔎] 4D4E4185.9070605@gmail.com>, Drew MacDonald wrote:
>I have been running a stable copy of lenny for the last 2 years without any
>issues (or use of unstable or testing packages).  Tonight I attempted to
>upgrade to squeeze and have encountered an apparent conflict between the
>'libmagic1' and 'file' packages which are preventing me from completing the
>upgrade:
>
>dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libmagic1_5.04-5_i386.deb
>(--unpack): trying to overwrite '/etc/magic.mime', which is also in package
>file 5.04-5

This shouldn't happen.  I have file_5.04-5 installed and it does not contain
/etc/magic.mime.  Sounds like it may be an architecture-specific oversight.

You might try downloading the libmagic1_5.04-5 .deb file and installing it
directly with dpkg.  There should be a specific --force-option to ignore file
conflicts.

You might also try checking the BTS, including closed bugs.  If the problem
hasn't already been reported, it probably should be.  If it has, they might
have a better work around.