Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06)

I'm playing with a laptop that has an Atheros AR2413 based (badged as Dynex DG-WGNBC) pcmcia card and a wired NIC using Debian Unstable, current as of a few hours ago. I'd like to make an access point.

lspci | grep -i atheros
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)

This page says the wireless card should be using the ath5k driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers

and also says "master" mode is supported in that driver.

I've confirmed ath5k is loading with lsmod | grep -i ath
ath5k     104074   0
mac80211  123574   1 ath5k
ath         6014   1 ath5k
cfg80211   87661   3 ath5k,mac80211,ath
led_class   1757   1 ath5k

I've defined wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces as:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
 address 192.168.1.2
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.1.0
 broadcast 192.168.1.255
 wileless-channel 7
 wireless-essid wifitest
 wireless-key1 s:86753
 wireless-mode master

but at "ifup wlan0" this error occurs:
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : Set failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

How can I make that card the master it needs to be?