Re: Looking advice for buy hard disks

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:34:49 +0100, Alfonso Ruiz wrote:

> I would like ask here for advice about HDs for Linux, because I use
> Squeeze and don´t want have the same problems that people that bought
> WD20EARS disks.
>
> I plan buy one ST32000641AS for my desktop/server and one ST2000DL003
> for use for backups purpose via an external esata box.
>
> The ST2000DL003 is 4096 bytes per sector, can this have problems with
> squeeze?

I don't think why. Most of the "tera-large" hard disks are now using that
4K alignment. Though the answer will vary if you are planning to share
the disk between old OSes that can have problems with the new aligment or
a raid based setup.

> The ST32000641AS is sata3, but will be connected to an sata2
> motherboard, so, can have any problem for this in Squeeze?

Sata600 should be fully compatible with sata300, just it will auto-slow
to the available speed the same it happens right now with sata300 disks
and sata150 ports.

One side note on Seagate hard disks. If you are planning to use both
disks in a server environment, you should look at their "enterprise"
products as they tend to have higher MTBF values and are labeled as
"ready for 24x7" usage.

OTOH, I was told in many times that beyond the 500 GiB. barrier you can
see many of these non enterprise sata disks diying very quickly because
they are not very well suited/prepared for intensive tasks and it is
better going with sas or scsi devices.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón