Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm [SOLVED]

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:38:35 -0800
Joe Riel <jriel@maplesoft.com> wrote:

> Is there some trick to enabling the bell in an xterm?
>
> $ xset q | grep bell
>   bell percent:  100    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
>
> But echoing ^G,
>
> $ echo <Ctrl>-v <Ctrl>-g
>
> makes no beep.

A partial solution, anyhow.  I've found that reenabling the nouveau
driver, which I had replaced with the nvidia driver to debug a
different issue, enabled the beep.  I'm now looking for a clean
way to do the replacement (different thread).

A related item.  I noticed that

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist.conf

contains

# Comment this entry in order to load snd-pcsp driver
blacklist snd-pcsp

Is that be significant?  Seems that might affect the pc speaker.

I tried commenting it out [with nvidia driver active], but didn't
notice a difference after rebooting.  Does the snd-pcsp driver have to
be loaded explicitly by something else?

--
Joe Riel