Re: ntp & synaptic

Il 27/01/2011 16:50, Paul Cartwright ha scritto:
My system rebooted yesterday. I had a 3 hour power outage due to a tree
falling on the power lines down the street.
After I got a few emails, telling me my date was wrong, I noticed that
it said it was tomorrow already. I tried to change it, but when I
selected "Adjust date & time" from the systray, & clicked OK. It brought
up a window for my admin password, saying time-admin needed system
priveleges. When I put in the password, the screen just disappeared. So
I thought I'd look up ntp packages in Synaptic. I went to
System-administration-Synaptic package manager & clicked on it. Again,
the screen blinked & disappeared. From a "#" terminal prompt I can run
synaptic & it brings up the package manager. It seems something may be
wrong with my system, but I'm not sure what.

As far as the time being wrong, what is the "Normal" ntp package that
gets installed, or could be installed? I have a package installed,
ntpdate, but it doesn't look like it has a daemon. I tried ntpd &
openntpd but when I run them ( /etc/init.d/ntpd start) they fail, with
no log entries anywhere. suggestions?

Is synaptic gives you problems, try aptitude -- the ui may not be as cute, but it's definitely usable.
About ntp:
1) unless you *explicitly* order otherwise, it's meant for *small* clock adjustments, up to a few seconds every day; so you must either force ntp tp accept a big correction, or manually set the time with a decent accuracy and then let ntp sync exactly 2) I may be rong about this, but I'm at least 70% sure that no ntp package is installed by default, save maybe ntpdate; if nothing else is installed, you can install any ntp client you choose