Re: disable shutdown in System menu in gnome (not splash screen)

 On lists.debian.org,

Maria McKinley wrote:
Hello all,

I cannot believe how difficult this is to figure out. In Debian Lenny, Shut Down appears in the System menu in the top panel by default, for all users. In Debian Squeeze, this does not appear to be the case. I have looked in every gnome configuration file and gui I can think of, but can't figure out how to remove Shut Down from this menu. I thought I had finally found it in /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-settings.menu, so I tried copying the Squeeze version of that file to my Lenny installation, but it seemed to have no effect. I can't believe that the default is to have Shut Down appear in the menu, just under Log Out, for normal users. I am trying to remove it because I have had users accidentally shutdown machines when trying to log out. I am also amazed at how hard it is to figure out how to remove this. Help!
thanks,
maria

I know this is rather old, but did you find a solution?  Some quick research shows that the change may have been from Gnome 2.4 to Gnome 2.6, and the shutdown/reboot options are controlled by gnome-power-manager.  If gnome-power-manager isn't running, the options don't show up, either on the system menu or on the Shutdown icon in the panel.  I haven't fully investigated this, since it's not of great interest to me, but I saw your post while trying to help someone recover the options on his personal system.  Any further information would be welcome if you have any.