Re: Strange behaviour of files in /proc Explanation??

on 17:43 Thu 27 Jan, Lisi (lisi.reisz@gmail.com) wrote:
> On my main desktop running Lenny and KDE 3.5.10, I can open files in /proc
> with cat, vi or OOo.  I can open them neither with KWord nor with KWrite,
> neither of which can even see them.
>
> Can anyone explain this??

These are virtual files which are actually interfaces to kernel state,
and while some text-based tools can work with them (generally by copying
the contents to another buffer: cat, more/less/most, even vim),
word-processign tools may have other issues and really aren't the
appropriate tool for working with /proc & /sys files.  Or for use under
root, which is required for most /proc & /sys files.

Depending on the specific file, contents may or may not be writable, and
the consequences of changing contents may or may not be conducive to
system stability.

I'd strongly suggest you stick to standard text tools, and not run X
sessions as root.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist