Re: Linux disk partition encryption

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:02:52 -0500, Celejar wrote:

>> Further, does disk encryption access the partition directly? I mean,
>> does the 'cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdxn' care what type of partition
>> (ext2/3, fat, etc) /dev/sdxn is?
>
> You seem to be confusing partitions with filesystems here.  cryptsetup
> works on raw partitions - the filesystems go on top of the encrypted
> volume: /dev/sdxn -> luks volume -> filesystem

I know that the filesystems go on top of the encrypted volume. All that I
want to confirm is whether disk encryption access the partition directly,
as you put, "works on raw partitions". E.g., if I use partition tool to
set partition type to FAT32, what would happen?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/