Re: editing /var/lib/dpkg/available

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 22:36 +0000, Waqqas Dadabhoy wrote:
> I played around with Zimbra a while ago, but have removed it now. I
> get the following error whenever I use apt-get:
>
> warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 8727 package 'zimbra-ldap':
>  error in Version string '6.0.8_GA_2661.DEBIAN5_64': invalid character
> in version number

Have a look at /var/lib/dpkg/available-old as well, as it should contain
a recent backup of the available file. I wouldn't necessarily edit those
files, because you just might make it worse.

If available-old does not help, you can:

    1. apt-cache dumpavail > /var/lib/dpkg/available

       dumpavail prints out an available list to stdout. This is
       suitable for use with dpkg(1) and is used by the dselect(1)
       method.

    2. dpkg --update-avail /var/lib/dpkg/available

       Update dpkg's and dselect's idea of which packages are available.
       With action --merge-avail, old information is combined with
       information from Packages- file.  With action --update-avail, old
       information is replaced with the information in the
       Packages-file. The Packages-file distributed with Debian is sim‐
       ply named Packages. dpkg keeps its record of available packages
       in /var/lib/dpkg/available.

       A simpler one-shot command to retrieve and update the available
       file is dselect update. Note that this file is mostly useless if
       you don't use dselect  but an APT-based frontend: APT has its own
       system to keep track of available packages.

OR (alternatively)

    1. rm /var/lib/dpkg/available
    2. dselect update

Hope that solves your problem.
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.