Re: aptitude upgrade errors

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:13 +0000, Kelly Harding wrote:
> hi
>
> have been getting following errors when tryign to upgrade my Debian sid box:
>
> dpkg-query: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line

[...]

> Results in inability to upgrade any packages on the system.
> Anyone come across this and know how to fix? or is a system re-install needed?

The easiest way is to restore that file from your backups.

Don't have any? Make some now and: No problem (in this particular
case) because the system kept some for you.

Have a look at:

    /var/backups/dpkg.status.*

The file named "dpkg.status.0" should be identical to the original
status file.

There is also /var/lib/dpkg/status.old and other older versions in
/var/backups/, but I would just move the corrupted file somewhere else,
and copy /var/backups/dpkg.status.0 over instead.

Does that solve your problem?
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.