Re: Ubuntu -> LMDE: migrate packages using `aptitude` alone?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 01:23:37PM -0500, Tom Roche wrote:
> The final thing I believe I need to do (please suggest anything else I
> should know) is to backup the list of currently-active (installed and
> selected) packages so as to be able to restore them quickly and
> completely in the new environment, so that I don't need to manually
> install, e.g., chromium and emacs. Am I missing anything? If not:
>
> >From other reading, one way to do this is
>
> # in terminal in ubuntu
> dpkg --get-selections > "${PACKAGE_FILE}"
> # in terminal in LMDE
> sudo dpkg --set-selections < "${PACKAGE_FILE}"
> sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
> sudo aptitude update
> sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade

While this is technically correct, 'dpkg --get-selections' is going to
give you a huge list of files (which somebody else already pointed out,
will not necessarily all be available in LMDE).  Your list will have
"libthis" and "libthat" -- a bunch of things that were installed as
dependencies of the applications you really care about.

I would try to get a list of those applications that you really care
about.  Maybe the best way to do this is by simply looking through your
"Applications" menu.  Or maybe there is a way to convince apt/aptitude
to tell you what applications were installed purposedly (not
automatically installed to resolve dependencies).  If you can get such a
list, I think your job will be a lot easier.

-Rob