Re: Ubuntu -> LMDE: migrate packages using `aptitude` alone?

Tom Roche Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:23:37 -0500
>> The final thing I believe I need to do [to migrate Ubuntu -> LMDE] is
>> to backup the list of currently-active (installed and selected)
>> packages so as to be able to restore them quickly and completely in
>> the new environment, so that I don't need to manually install, e.g.,
>> chromium and emacs. Am I missing anything? If not:

>> From other reading, one way to do this is

>> # in terminal in ubuntu
>> dpkg --get-selections > "${PACKAGE_FILE}"
>> # in terminal in LMDE
>> sudo dpkg --set-selections < "${PACKAGE_FILE}"
>> sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
>> sudo aptitude update
>> sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade

Roman Khomasuridze Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:23:58 +0400
> one thing you have to take in account while doing
> "dpkg --get-selections" part: AFAIK Ubuntu package naming [departed]
> quite much from Debian’s, and thus LMDE's ([especially] python
> packages as i recall), so you _might_ experience some problems when
> [you do] "dpkg --set-selections"...

Can work around these package-naming differences?
If not, how best to prepare or react?

thanks for your assistance, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>