Re: Let's talk about HTTPS Everywhere

Celejar:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:58:28 +0100
>>
>> A single core get's used 100% by the kworker thread. But actually it's
>> not 20MB/s, but 25MB/s while reading (decrypting) and 35MB/s while
>> writing (encrypting). I just tested it again.
>
> So does that mean that your wireless throughput with encryption enabled
> is CPU-bound, and that you'd be getting better throughput with a more
> powerful CPU (or without encryption)?

No. The numbers I posted were about disk encryption. They were just
meant to illustrate what throughput is possible with AES if it is done
by a comparably slow CPU (Atom D510, 1.66GHz).

With WPA2/AES you have significantly less throughput (typically <10%)
and, as far as I know, wifi encrpytion is done by the hardware and not
the host CPU. But even if it's done on the host CPU: my numbers show
that you really don't need to care about that very much, as long as your
system isn't older than, say, 6-8 years.

(Disclaimer: I am unsure whether WPA2 with AES actually performs the
same as LUKS using AES. But my guess is that it's not far off.)

J.
--
I am not scared of death but terrified of people in Tommy Hilfiger
sweatshirts.