Re: inconsistent apt-get output

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Sven Joachim wrote:

I suspect Pierre has both Lenny and Squeeze in sources.list, and that
apt-get somehow stumbles over the fact that gnome-network-admin is a
real package in Lenny but a virtual package in Squeeze.
  You are right. I actually had a mixture of Lenny and Squeeze, with a preference
  to Squeeze in my preferences file:
  As Squeeze seems reliable enough now, I moved completely to Squeeze
  and now, "apt-get install gnome-network-admin" gives

    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Note, selecting 'gnome-system-tools' instead of 'gnome-network-admin'
    gnome-system-tools is already the newest version.

  But now, the original problem remains: no "interfaces" in network-admin
  Any idea?

Anyway, the error message seems to be totally bogus.  Which is not
unusual, I have never seen apt-get putting out any useful diagnostics.
  I would not say "never", but "rarely" would not be exagerated.

regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel