Re: Let's talk about HTTPS Everywhere

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:21:20 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:37:20 -0600 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." wrote:
>
>> In <[🔎] pan.2011.01.22.18.58.17@gmail.com">[🔎] pan.2011.01.22.18.58.17@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:

>> >I agree. Wired networks are not that exposed to these attacks.
>>
>> Not entirely true.  On a hubbed network, putting your network card into
>> promiscuous mode will allow you do see other's HTTP traffic and
>> "sidejack" them.  Even on a switched network, there may be a way to
>> fool the switch into giving you enough data from the HTTP traffic to
>> preform a "sidejack".
>
> I know very little about enterprise networking, but are hubs still in
> actual use today?

Last time I had to make a "fine-grained" debugging operation over my
network using wireshark I had to "restore-to-life" an old (and dusty) hub
that came with our DSL device... back in 2000 :-P

Port monitoring is something thats useful in troubleshooting network related problems on networks using switches, thought I think your switch needs to support it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón