Re: java 5 in squeeze

Joe Riel wrote:
> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> > If you absolutely need Java 1.5 then you will need to install the
> > older version from the Lenny non-free archive.
> >
> >   http://packages.debian.org/lenny/sun-java5-jre
>
> Right.  How would I do that?  My knowledge of debian's package manager
> is minimal.  I'm guessing that I'm not supposed to modify sources.list,
> but rather do something else.  Maybe just download the deb and
> install it with dpkg?  Is there a proper way to do this?

There are many different ways to do this and everyone has their own
(sometimes strong) opinions about how it should be done.

When I first suggested that link I was thinking it was just one or two
packages.  But looking now I see four.

  sun-java5-bin
  sun-java5-fonts
  sun-java5-jre
  sun-java5-plugin

And possibly more that I missed.  So that isn't going to be as easy to
do one at a time.

One Option:
Temporarily change your references from squeeze or sid in
/etc/apt/sources.list to "lenny".  Run 'apt-get update', and then
'apt-get update install sun-java5-jre' and install.  Then restore your
previous /etc/apt/sources.list file and apt-get update again to clean
up.

Because sun-java5-jre requires other components this might be the best
easiest way.  In this case much easier than individually downloading
each package manually.  Going to an older repository for packages from
a newer system tends to have fewer traps than being on an older system
and going to a newer repository for packages so this is definitely the
route I would take.

Bob