Re: Debian Squeeze Installation

On 2011-01-23, Roman Gelfand <rgelfand2@gmail.com> wrote:
> When installing Squeeze, I chose standard system install and desktop
> environment.  However, it boots in line mode.  How can I check if
> desktop, in fact was installed?  how to enable it?  what is the name
> of the of the gnome or kde packages?
>
> Thanks in advance

I don't know if yours is the same cause, but this happened to me
recently.  The reason turned out to be that I had reused a squeeze net
install CD that was a few months old and apparently it was out of rev.
with the current squeeze.  The fix was easy.  aptitude:
u (update packages)
U (mark for upgrade)
g (many packages upgraded)
possibly had to iterate U g g until nothing left to do
reboot
Then it came up in X.