Re: Debian Squeeze Installation

On Saturday 22 January 2011 08:10:16 pm godo wrote:
> On 01/23/2011 05:56 AM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
> > When installing Squeeze, I chose standard system install and desktop
> > environment.  However, it boots in line mode.  How can I check if
> > desktop, in fact was installed?  how to enable it?  what is the name
> > of the of the gnome or kde packages?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> When you log in try 'startx' if you have some desktop environment it
> should be started.
> I gues you are download standard .iso without choosing DE so it is Gnome.
snip

'dpkg -s 'gnome-desktop-enviroment' will show whether gnome was installed.

If it was a complete standard install, 'startx' should produce error messages as
to why X failed to start, video driver issue, etc. If you don't see it on the
screen, read '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' for error messages.

--
Peace,

Greg