Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:15:01 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Joe Riel wrote:
> > Is there some trick to enabling the bell in an xterm?
> >
> > $ xset q | grep bell
> >   bell percent:  100    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
> >
> > But echoing ^G,
> >
> > $ echo <Ctrl>-v <Ctrl>-g
> >
> > makes no beep.
>
> Do you have the 'pcspkr' module loaded?
>
>   lsmod | grep pcspkr

Yes (thanks for this check):

$ lsmod | grep pcspkr
pcspkr                  1699  0

> Is there a speaker attached to the motherboard hardware?

I don't know.  However, I've been using this motherboard for a year,
so I'm certain it used to beep---just don't know whether the sound
came from the external speakers or the MB.  I suspect the MB; I
frequently have the speakers turned off, but don't recall
not hearing the beep.

I've recently switched from Ubuntu 9.04 to Debian 6.  I'm not sure
whether the beep has occurred since that switch, or if it just
went silent in the last day or so.  The most recent changes I've made
have been to switch to a USB keyboard (to avoid a lockup issue),
and replace the neauveau driver with an nvidia driver (while debugging
the lockup).

> The terminal beep is one of those polarizing features.  People either
> love it or hate it.  And so there isn't a right answer for having it
> enable or disabled by default.

I can live without it; at times it annoys me.  But most of the time
I like to have it.

--
Joe Riel