Re: Where is the boot/config-`uname -r` file?

Hi Camaleón

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:51:47 -0500, RR wrote:

> I'm a brand spanking new Debian "wanna-be" user. I was trying to
> configure bonding on my machine following instructions here:
> http://wiki.bolay.net/doku.php?id=operating_systems:linux:debian:bonding_on_debian

Better if you follow these steps:

http://wiki.debian.org/Bonding

> The instructions talk about checking params in the boot/config-`uname
> -r` file which doesn't exist on my system. In fact the /boot directory
> on my system is empty. How do I get this config file in there? Do I need
> to install some package like kernel source or something to get it in
> there? I'm running Debian Lenny 5.0.7 on Sparc x64 BTW

The best check-test you can do (if you had physical access to the
machine) is running a "ping -c 100 some-host" command and unplugging one
of the network cables and then the other(s). The ping command should go on.

As per the empty "/boot", that's odd. Try with "locate vmlinuz" :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón
Thanks for that. I have bonding working on the system, although it took a few tries to have it working the way I wanted it to. There's way too many documents telling to configure this and that and I discovered that the order in which some commands are placed within the /etc/network/interfaces file matters. For e.g. slaves eth0 eth1 needs to come BEFORE all the bond_ commands (as is stated in the Wiki you pointed to). Without that, ifup bond0 brings up a bunch of errors and ignores the bond_ commands.

I also tried the locate command a while ago and didn't come up with anything :(

I think this is one of those specific scenarios where Debian was installed AFTER solaris on the 2nd disk and how boot is handled under that. I have a bunch of other questions which seem to be specific to this setup and have been mailing in the debian-sparc list but the response time/quantity there is no where as good as it is here :(

Cheers,
\RR