Re: Where is the boot/config-`uname -r` file?

Hi Bob,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
RR wrote:
> The instructions talk about checking params in the boot/config-`uname -r`
> file which doesn't exist on my system. In fact the /boot directory on my
> system is empty.

Empty?  That is a problem.  It should contain your boot files.  Start
your debugging there.  It shouldn't be empty.  It isn't empty in a
normal system.  Therefore you must have something broken on your end.
As to what, I don't know.  Figure out why it is empty and you will
have your problem figured out.

Yep, empty! And although I'm new to debian, not really new to Linux as such and noticing my /boot directory as empty was a big shock to me as well. I am not sure how my machine is even booting up and how it's finding the boot images vmlinuz and initrd etc. or whatever is the debian equivalent. If I look at the ISO image of the installation media, I see that in /boot directory I see stuff like initrd.gz and sparc64 and silo.conf. Would it help if I copy this as is into the boot directory of this machine?

You said you are a new user so I assume this is a new installation?
How did you get to the current state?  Fresh install?  A fresh
installation would leave files in /boot so look to see how things have
deviated from the normal and you will have the answer.

yes, It was a fresh install from a DVD .. had a lot of trouble in getting it to work, as this is installed on a Sun V240 machine on the 2nd Disk and it kept running into this error about memory, and it turned out (purely observation) that ONLY when the machine is COMPLETELY shutdown with the power on the powersupply turned off and then brought back up, it boots up and I was able to install Debian. If I simply to a "warm boot" with the restart/shutdown command etc. I get those memory errors (been a few weeks so can't remember what the errors actually said). I still have that problem at boot time even after Debian installed so avoid rebooting it. But I digress....to come back to your point, it's installed on the 2nd drive of a Sun machine which has Solaris 8 on Disk1. And yes, I would also think a fresh install would leave files in the /boot directory. So the question is, where did these files go (I didn't touch/delete anything I swear :) and how does this system even boot without those files? I'm too scared to try to reboot this machine right now as if it doesn't come up, I'm toast...this machine is sitting in a time zone which is 15 hrs different than where I physically am :(

By the way...  Stock Debian kernels provide bonding as a module.
Yes, I can find all those modules in the system, I was merely following the instructions which say that bonding needs to be turned on in the config file in the /boot directory

\RR