Re: [OT-where's Gnome going]Re: transition from Ubuntu -> Debian to avoid Unity Desktop?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
<tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On the 18/01/2011 12:09, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 12:09 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> They say they will have other desktop options, but, in my
>>> experience, it will be tough to avoid the packaging and configuration
>>> changes that they enforce on everybody in order to make Unity work
>>> (maybe I'm too skeptical).
>>
>> I sincerely believe Gnome is too important for them to just leave it
>> "just like that"....
>>
>> but... I can't tell for sure...
>>
>> Gnome will always be available... (I hope and believe)
>>
>> Joao
>>

> Ubuntu shows more and more interest in Qt, it is now official in the
> form of integrating Qt libraries in Ubuntu cd's, and as Shuttleworth
> puts it [1] they'll have to make room for this to happen, at the expanse
> of what ? Unless they ship on dvd instead of cd or create a separate
> Gnome spin (which will come anyway from the "anti-unity" crowd), they

My personal speculation is that the reason Canonical is backing things like
Wayland, Unity and now Qt is probably to move into the Smartphone and
Tablet arena. The Unity interface is deceptively similar to ones found on
handheld devices. Canonical is playing this close to the chest possibly for
tactical reasons.

Besides, AFAIK Unity is a shell to the GNOME environment. GNOME should
be available as an option, just not the default.

My 2 paise,
Didar