Debugging Dovecot and Sieves

Hi all,

In short, I'm trying to use sieve to filter my mail in a dpkg-supplied
dovecot/postfix virtual mailbox setup on a lenny machine. I can't find
anything to suggest that sieve's being used (or even loaded) at all,
and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I've got this in my /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

protocol lda {
        mail_plugins = cmusieve
}
plugin {
        sieve = /etc/dovecot/sieves/%u.sieve
}

And I've got /etc/dovecot/sieve.default:

require ["fileinto", "envelope", "subaddress"];
if envelope :detail "to" "test"{
  fileinto "test";
}

then I run
echo "woo. test" | mail -s "Testing" email+test@address.com

And the email doesn't get filtered, it's just dropped into the inbox
(I've already created a 'test' folder in a mail client). I was under the
impression that on first use the sieve file should be compiled into
some form of non-ascii file, but I can't find trace of that, so I'm
guessing it's not being parsed at all.
On the other hand, it does get dropped into the email@address.com
inbox, so I'm fairly satisfied that Postfix is getting its bit right,
and Dovecot is correctly interpreting the local part of the address.

I can't find anything to indicate why the sieve's not being invoked, or
even anything logging its attempts to run it - I'm concerned I might not
have the cmusieve plugin available, but I can't find a way of getting a
list of available plugins out of dovecot.

I've put the output of dovecot -a at
  http://avi.co/stuff/dovecot-a
And I'm running version 1.0.15

Can anyone offer any guidance as to how I can diagnose and fix this?

Thanks!

--
Avi