Re: tun device creation on boot

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:44:56AM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

Hi,

> I'm using OpenVPN to connect two departments with a central department.
> For this I'm using routing. In the central department I have an OpenVPN
> server which is using the /dev/net/tun1 and /dev/net/tun2 devices that
> I've created manually.
>
> Debian only creates a /dev/net/tun device. How I can achieve that on
> boot these devices to be created? I had thought of adding lines to
> create in /etc/rc.local, but there may be a more appropriate way to
> do it.

Long time since I've been working with OpenVPN and routed interfaces but
I always used the dynamic approach to setup the needed interfaces. You can
create the interfaces for static tunnels with e.g.
    openvpn --mktun --dev tun0

Maybe there's also a way to do this via udev rules but I'm not sure how
viable that is. I think I would bring them up with the physical interface
they use via /etc/network/interface running 'up openvpn...'

Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.