Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

On 2011-01-14 09:24 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
> laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> lenny.
>
> On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
>
> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

The problem is that

a) fairly current hardware may generally not work very well with a
   relatively old system (Lenny's kernel and the nv driver are from
   mid-2008), and

b) the nv driver does not support the XVideo extension on GeForce 8 and
   newer.

> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> three messages as above.

Which video driver do you use?  On Squeeze, nouveau is the default, and
it does support XVideo here:

,----
| % xvinfo
| X-Video Extension version 2.2
| screen #0
|   Adaptor #0: "Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video"
| [...]
`----

And what's your graphics card?  Use "lspci -k" to also show its kernel
drivers, if any.

Sven