Re: OT: Sort Of> Re: USB stick Security

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:43:01 -0500, Jimmy Wu wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 09:11, John W Foster wrote:
>> I recently lost a USB stick. It didn't have any thing of a security
>> concern on it but got me to thinking. Does anyone know of an
>> application that will; encrypt the drive completely; start at boot
>> time; ask for a secure log in & if after say 2 or 3 tries; with
>> appropriate warnings of impending doom; will not only lock the person
>> out but completely destroy the drive, so it can never be recovered. Oh
>> and of course works on any OS?
>> Yes I know its a lot but just wondering??

> https://www.ironkey.com/
>
> They claim it works on linux as well.

Adding Corsair Padlock:

http://www.corsair.com/usb-drives/padlock/flash-padlock-2-8gb-usb-flash-drive.html

But it should be nice to have such facility on any flash key, regardless
of the hardware. I also read some articles¹ on these type of keys that
claimed to be "unbreakable" and miserably failed in its purpose (the
password was easily by-passed due a flaw in their software).

¹http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/NIST-certified-USB-Flash-drives-with-hardware-encryption-cracked-895308.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón