Re: linux on windows

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:07:06 +0100
abdelkader belahcene <abelahcene@gmail.com> dijo:

>I have installed for a friend of me,  ubuntu on windows, (ubuntu has
>this option). I lost the password, and tried to fix it, so I tried
>booting from CD, to fix the problem as usual, (I mean  mount HD, and
>chroot ....). There is no  linux partition visible, just the ntfs
>partition, ( in fact the linux partition ???!!! if any is in the ntfs
>partition!!). any idea to fix it.

Ubuntu is a debian based distribution of Linux, but they add a lot of
their own things. One thing that they add is called Wubi. Wubi was
written by the Ubuntu team. Wubi is a Windows program that allows you
to install Ubuntu within Windows. When you install Ubuntu with Wubi it
does not create a separate partition, that is, it is all inside the
Windows NTFS file system.

It is very easy to uninstall because all you have to do is uninstall
the Wubi program. When you uninstall the Wubi program it also
uninstalls Ubuntu.

After you uninstall the Wubu program you can just reinstall it the same
way you did the first time. But when you reinstall it I suggest you
write down the password someplace where you will not lose it. :)

>On my laptop, running debian (same problem with ubuntu and al)
>the CAPS key is enabled I can't disable it, to do it , I go to the text
>screen, (ctrl+alt+F1), to disable it, after that I come back to the
>graphical interface.
>What is the problem ??

It sounds like the problem is a BIOS setting. I say that because you
said it happens with Ubuntu and Debian, so the problem is not likely to
be in the kernel.

I would suggest getting some live CDs of other Linux distributions -
like Fedora, Knoppix, Mint, among others. Boot to the live CDs and see
if you still have the caps lock key problem. If you do, it is surely a
BIOS setting.

If it does not happen with other live CDs, then come back and maybe
someone can give you other suggestions.