Re: Autorun installation CD

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:32:12 +0200
Juha Tuuna <juha.tuuna@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 11.1.2011 11:41, Kousik Maiti wrote:
> > Hi List,
> > I want to create a CD that can run automatically on Linux system and start
> > installation  from a .jar file. Is it possible? I googled it but don't get any
> > proper answer.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi, afaik Gnome and KDE run CDs automatically (if configured to do so). Normal
> autorun.inf should do the trick.
> Other desktops or window managers may or may not run CDs but anyways users can
> disable that feature if they wish. Some people even prefer manual mounting of CDs.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:23:29 +0000
Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

> Freedesktop-compliant machines support the use of an autorun script in
> the same way that Windows does. See
> http://specifications.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html#mounting
> for the specification.

You would probably want both.  However, i'd be careful with Java- especially on linux, you cannot rely on having it installed on any random system.

That's the biggest problem with Compile Once Run Everywhere- there's a subscript after everywhere that says "where they've installed {Python, JVM, .NET, etc.}"

--
rbmj