Re: [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

On 11/01/11 01:26, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Stefan Monnier put forth on 1/9/2011 10:42 PM:

I have no idea what makes you so angry against "green" drives.

I am against using any drive, at this time, in Linux, with a native sector size
other than 512 bytes.  The Linux partitioning tools still do not easily/properly
handle these hybrid drives with 4096 byte per sectors that translate 512 byte
sectors to the host.  Simply partitioning them correctly requires Ph.D.  The
average, and even some advanced, users cannot configure them for correct
performance.

In my experience with these drives, aligning to 4k sectors has always fixed any performance issues, and was achieved by creating partitions within fdisk invoked as follows:

fdisk -cu -H224 -S56 /dev/sdx

Greg