Re: DD To a Smaller Partition

Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
Hi, Hal:

On Sunday 09 January 2011 20:21:22 Hal Vaughan wrote:
I have a 10 GB partition that is nowhere near full, less than 5 GB of data
on it (far less).  Unfortunately, the partition I'd like to copy it to is 5
GB.  I can do "rsync -av" but normally I'd use DD.  Is there a way to copy
an image of just the files from one drive to another?  For example, an
intelligent DD that won't copy unused sectors, or will create an archive of
just the files?

dd won't do that but partimage is probably the "intelligent dd" you are looking for.

But partimage will no restore to a smaller artition

Hugo