Re: Basic questions about Debian package tools

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 16:11, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2011, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> pt3asw@gmail.com:
>> >
>> > Is it true I should avoid APT and use some other frontend or, better,
>> > dpkg directly?
>>
>> Never use dpkg directly if you don't have to. Apt-get and aptitude are
>> both good frontends with similar capabilities. Which one you use is
>> mostly a question of personal preference. Only when doing distribution
>> upgrades (like from lenny to squeeze) you should read the release notes
>> and use the tool that it suggests.
>>

> I'd vote for wajig myself.

me too ;-)

It's got quite a lot of functionality, some of it nifty, EG "wajig
--backup upgrade" actually saves the packages to be upgraded locally,
in case something breaks, you cal revert.

run "wajig commands" and see for yourself
run "wajig help install" for a summary of what INSTALL command does,
and available options

Note that I'm here talking about the wajig version in Sid; one in
Squeeze is quite outdated.