Re: DD To a Smaller Partition

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> wrote:
> I have a 10 GB partition that is nowhere near full, less than 5 GB of data on it (far less).  Unfortunately, the partition I'd like to copy it to is 5 GB.  I can do "rsync -av" but normally I'd use DD.  Is there a way to copy an image of just the files from one drive to another?  For example, an intelligent DD that won't copy unused sectors, or will create an archive of just the files?

afaik, as of a year ago, there is no ghost like dd. there was
ghost4linux which looked like a front end to dd | gzip |
nfs/scp/ftp/etc

that said, i don't know why you wouldn't just use rsync as using the
feature in ghost that creates a dynamic image size isn't really
admissible in court anyway :)

btw, the best cp command for the job is cp -Ra (a for archive -
maintain all permissions - do this as root to maintain uid/gid of
other users/groups).